Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Body serves the Mind
















A picture of Raf, my Neigong instructor, at a recent seminar held at our private training pagoda.

The old masters believed that: "External Martial Art Training without the Internal Development was a waste of time".

Interesting point.

Even believing if you had great physical skill you would quickly hit a plateau in your development, even hitting a point of stagnation.

The wise practitioner who would merge both, external and internal training would benefit from unlimited progression and a constant expansion of skill.

I'm all for that.

I'm one to believe you should put all the chances on your side to win.

Winning for you might be to get in the best possible shape.

Winning could also possibly mean you feel totally confident you could defend yourself when you walk down the street at night.

Winning for someone who's never finished what they started might mean finally following through on the goals they've set for themselves.

For others Winning might mean to be proficient in their martial art expression.

"Martial Art Expression" you might ask?

Yes.

Whenever you practice martial arts you reveal a part of yourself to yourself or to your partner.

You reveal bits and pieces of your character.

If you pay attention close enough you can actually learn from every training session.

That's what I like about my Neigong Training.

When you listen, you hear some of your internal dialogue, sometimes you're distracted by something that's bothering you which makes you lose your count, or you get to see how you react to a little bit of uncomfortable muscle pain.

That's where you see who's in charge?

Your body or your mind?

I like to believe the mind controls the body. The mind will tell the body what to do and the body will be a good servant and follow the orders.

But for many that is not how it works, it's the complete opposite. Once the body shows the slightest sign of weakness or soreness the mind gives in and offers a... Break.

Remember: "The body serves the mind" and not the other way around.

Well, at least that's how it's supposed to be.

This is one of the biggest benefits I've gained from the Neigong Training.

I'm able to hold and squeeze my body through difficult postures and positions, as well as repeat any number of reps I ask of it in various exercises without giving in to my "lazy" body.

If you wish to feel what I feel when sharing the above experiences with you, and if you want to master your body and mind, I seriously think you should join me in my Neigong Training.

If you're just starting out here's where you can take the perfect first step:

Begin Neigong Training

Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: