Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Training with Richard Bustillo

I snapped this rare picture of Bruce with a mustache at Richard Bustillo's Academy last week.




























This was the third place I visited while here in LA.

I felt right at home there.

It had the same family atmosphere as in our FSD schools and the people, especially Mr. Bustillo, was very inviting and friendly.

Also an original student of Bruce Lee in the 60s, it was interesting to see their take on Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.

It was nice to see we shared the same belief about JKD.

At the core Jeet Kune Do is about self-expression.

Nobody owns JKD.

Whenever you find yourself "getting it" when it comes to a technique or a concept, and this, done without thought or effort and it becomes a part of you, you are doing JKD even if you train in a different art.

Everyone expresses themselves differently in martial arts, and that's okay, there is no right or wrong way.

Like Jean Jacques Machado told me (oops did I just tell you who my number 5 instructor was over here in LA? Before I go in detail about JJ, I have to talk to you about my 82 year old number 4 instructor, tomorrow I'll post it for sure), he says: "We're all going to the same place, some people take longer than others but we all get there in the end"

Fang Shen Do is my family's interpretation of how to use the energy that resides in all of us.

Seeing how things have been going for me during my stay here, FSD is a great way to prepare the individual by laying a strong foundation of speed, power, flexibility, balance, intensity and mental toughness from which you can adapt to any art and still approach it with respect, humility, and a beginner's mind.

Master Yourself,

Sibok M

P.S. Great care has been put into the creation of our FSD products. Browse through the list and see what you can find to help you move more naturally. Browse here.

No comments: