Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bruce Lee and Sho Kosugi Memories

I've been writing about the importance of weapons training for a while now.

I remember a phase I had between 6 and 13 years old where weapons was all I would think about.

From Bruce Lee's Game of Death scene with Dan Inosanto, the dungeon scene in Enter the Dragon to all the Sho Kosugi movies.

I'm sure alot of you can relate to me and how movies seem so real and magical when you're a kid.

I had it all, the (self-made) ninja suit, the katana, the Tanto, the glow in the dark throwing stars, smoke bombs, the Chuks, you name it.

We'd also reproduce scenes like the "mirror scene" in Enter the Dragon and used my mother's lipstick to reproduce the claw marks on Bruce's body and face from the final fight scene with Han.

Just talking about this brings many more fond memories to mind and makes me want to go out and rent those old movies and do a Bruce/Kosugi movie marathon.

The one thing I remember the most is the special FEELING I had when I held a weapon in my hands back then and today that feeling hasn't changed.

One combination of weapons I especially like is the Stick and Dagger.

Espada y Daga
Stick and Dagger

It serves as a reminder of it's efficiency in past combat and teaches your body about working as one harmonious unit.

Both weapons make the best of team mates and guarantee that if one fails the other one is right there behind the other watching over its back.

It falls right in line with our hand to hand principles of overwhelming an opponent with an on-slaught of attacks which are transferred over from weapon training.

Click here to give this combination of weapons a try, you'll be glad you did.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

No comments: