Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Never be a victim again

I couldn't help but to share this testimonial with you. It pretty much sums up everything I've been talking to you about and how training in a system like FSD which is focused on the student's personal development first and foremost will lead to more than just learning how to punch and kick like so many other martial art schools.

Caution reading this will make you get off your butt and take some serious action. If you've been hesitating and putting it off, you know what to do, Start training in one of schools NOW.
---

"I thought I was just going to learn how to defend myself! How wrong was I."

Where do I begin?

My life has done a complete 360 since joining Patenaude's Kung-Fu School.

It took me some time to muster up the courage to start the training because of big emotional baggages holding me back. I've been a single parent since 1997. I was in a bad relationship. Intimidated, insulted and threatened. My partner at the time tried to strangle me when I was only 5 mths pregnant. This abuse destroyed my confidence and self-esteem.

After having dealt with that situation and winning custody of my daughter I decided I was going to make a change and NEVER be a victim ever again. I flipped through the yellow pages and the ad that struck me the most was Patenaude's Kung-Fu School. I called, joined and started a journey of self-discovery and personal development that I wasn't expecting.

Physically I was a mess. I could only do 3 girl push-ups (on my knees) and struggled to do 10 sit-ups. Now I can do 72 real push-ups in 2 minutes and 95 Sit-Ups in 2 minutes and those numbers are constantly going up. My flexibility was non existent. While standing and reaching for my toes, I couldn't get past my knees, now I can lay my palms flat on the floor with locked legs.

The school taught me how to face every day challenges and find the good in any situation.
I had the opportunity to put those lessons to work when the unimaginable happened.

In 2004, I got diagnosed with a tumor in my Duodenum which I completely recovered from and suffered a detached retina in 2006, a genetic condition that runs in my family which I also recovered from and today enjoy the benefits of partner sparring drills without any fear.

It took a while for my emotional scars to disappear. Whenever a student or instructor would demonstrate a choke defense and used me as an example, flashbacks would immediately emerge and reveal just how fragile I still was. Today those associations are a thing of the past.
I feel confident in any hold or self-defense scenario and swear I will never let anyone take advantage of me or invade my private space ever again.

The biggest surprise was how my training affected my work. I was always very negative, shy and unable to voice my opinions. If there were more than 4 people in a room I would immediately close my shell and disconnected from the conversation.

That was before joining Fang Shen Do's Leadership and Masters Training.

Sophie Bisson Patenaude Martial Arts
Sophie Bisson
Today I enjoy being my company's project manager and in charge of support for our sales team which comprises over 80 people. I've enjoyed multiple salary increases and bonuses. I've been doing big presentations in front of groups and my peers can't help but notice how I've changed. Most hardly recognize me when they compare the new me to the old me.

My new passion is teaching and helping other people reach for their goals. Creating strong bonds with students and helping them work on their individual challenges.

I never finished what I started before. Now I'm proud to say I'm a black belt, reaching for excellence in all areas of my life and nothing can stop my determination, passion and commitment.

I will continue to enjoy my training along with my daughter who also trains with me.

Thank You to Sijo, all the Sifus for their support and making a positive difference in my life."

Thank You

Sophie Bisson
Administrative Assistant
Montreal, Qc
---

Thank You Sophie. There are many lessons to be learned from this e-mail. It should send a resounding message to you, "Take action, make no excuses, and the limitations you might face are entirely self-imposed, charge ahead and let nothing stand in your way".

Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: