Friday, October 17, 2008

It's Louse Time! Be afraid only of standing still

If you're new to my list of focused, motivated, self- starters, Welcome.
(if you're not new jump right away to today's lesson below)

Every day I communicate to you the best ways to train and the kind of mindset it takes to get results either in your physical fitness or martial art training.

Friday is always what I call: "Louse Time". Modeled after Bruce Lee's strategy in Enter the Dragon.

You know that part where he's having tea with the government agent but he's disturbed by one of his students and Bruce Lee tells the agent: It's Louse Time! The agent replies with his British accent: "yes of course".

Since I'm 6 years old that scene has always stuck with me and I'll be using that same strategy with YOU every week.

Friday is where I share with you Life Lessons and Direction given to me by my dad (and Sifu) every Friday.

Today's lesson is: "Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still" ~ Chinese Proverb.

It boils down to: "Are you making consistent incremental improvements in all areas of your life?"


Some improvements are made without you even realizing it, considering you've been working diligently towards a goal you have.

If I were to film you early on in your martial art training and show it to you six months later, you might not realize you improved but the evidence on film would tell you otherwise.

If you're pushing yourself, you're improving.

The same holds true for pictures. That's why taking "before and after" pictures are crucial to track your progression.

And last, a personal journal. Reviewing past logs in your journal shows where you were, how you were thinking, what was important to you at that moment, personal stats, body measurements, and the mini successes you've had along the way.

Most often than not you won't identify with the old you. Although entertaining and nostalgic you could never go back to being that person again. You are indeed growing slowly even if you don't realize it.

I wish I could film all my students individually and show them where they started from and then 2-3 years later compare past and present footage, most wouldn't believe the transformation.

We tend to have short term memories, take the time to track your progression through video, pictures and a log book. You never know, the map you create might help your son or daughter find their path in life one day, or might just make yours clearer along the way.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

No comments: