Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Priceless Life Lessons

Every year on March 10th I reflect on where I started and how far I've come.

Even though my father started my training at the same time I started walking.

March 10th, 1985 marks the date of my first official exam ( i.e White Sash) in my martial art training.

The first rank is always memorable as it marks the beginning of your journey, and if taught right, what you learn at this level will serve you well throughout your ascension to Black Belt and beyond.

In September 1984, my very first class, I learned an important lesson that will surely stick with me for the rest of my life.

Lately I've been getting many flashes from my childhood, like one of my past posts about the split test my dad had me do when I was 11 years old.

Have you had these happen to you?

I'm sure you have.

We all have them but I tend to focus on the ones where I learned something important or that I was successful at doing. That way, I can use it to get myself in the right state, physical and mental in the present moment when undertaking a task or project I'm working on.

These are every important for your self-image and using past successes to fuel your goals and dreams in the now as well as give you confidence knowing you can accomplish them because of those successful past experiences truly is priceless.

So what did I learn on that faithful day?

My dad had us all lined up and ready to start class.

Since I was training and watching classes way before I ever did an official one I already knew how to start the class (a very short form to get the class started that consists mostly of testing your balance and coordination) and I wasn't shy about letting the guy know in front of me that I knew it.

At that point, my father gave me the "LOOK".

That one look, with no words exchanged taught me a lesson that I would carry on in my training even to this day. I don't think any of the other 6 year olds got it but I did.

"Whatever you think you know, you don't"
"When it's time to talk, talk"
"When it's time to train, train."
"There's always something to learn if you just pay attention well enough".

That right there has served me alot in my 26 years of training. This one lesson as well as many others have been very valuable in all areas of my life.

All this to say: Use your PAST and get back to basics.

Attack everything you do with a beginner's mind. Not only will you have more fun doing what it is you do, you'll learn faster, your enthusiasm and passion will soar and you'll get a different perspective on what you think you know.

Master Yourself,

Sibok M

P.S. Want to learn a new skill? Find something of interest in our Product Section.

Satisfaction Guaranteed!

No comments: