Monday, February 2, 2009

Biggest tragedy to plague human kind

Yesterday my parents brought me an article from the Journal de Montreal that I thought I'd share with you today.

I'm compelled to share it with you because I know it touches so many of us.

What I'm about to cover today has to be one of the biggest tragedies to plague human kind.

I still don't know why people, young and old, are engaging in something so destructive in the 21st Century. An age where technology and research is at an all time high.

Information, surveys, and statistics concerning it prove its deadly without a shadow of a doubt.

A highly evolved society that willfully engages in something that kills you slowly.

A decision that makes absolutely no sense and defies logic.

SMOKING

Do you smoke?

Know someone who smokes?

I'm sure you do.

If you're not a smoker, maybe you're like me, I want to over-saturate myself with as many reasons as possible to not smoke so I never, ever start. I found the following facts very interesting even as a non-smoker.

And if you do smoke, what the hell are you waiting for? QUIT.

There was this little section at the bottom of the article that caught my eye.


What happens if you stop smoking?

NOW: You cease to be a threat to your spouse, family, and friends.

In 20 minutes: Your heart rate returns to normal
In 24 hours:
Your breath doesn't stink so much.
Your risk of suffering a myocardial infarction has already dropped
There are no longer traces of carbon monoxide in your system
In 48 hours: You no longer have nicotine in your blood
In 2 weeks:
Your clothes no longer reek the stench of smoke and tobacco
The food you eat is more flavorful
Your skin tone is brighter
In 3 mths: Your breathing has improved and will continue that way
In 1 year: Your risk of cardio-vascular disease has dropped by half
In 5 years:
Your risk of a stroke drops 50%
Your risk of developing a cancer of the mouth, esophagus, and bladder also drop 50%
Your risk of suffering an infarction (loss of adequate blood supply to an organ) is equivalent to a non-smoker
In 10 years:
Your risk of lung cancer drops by half
Your risk of a stroke returns to non-smoker levels
In 15 years: Your risk of cardio vascular disease also returns to non-smoker levels.

Smoking is the first preventable cause of death on the planet with the yearly death rate totalling 5 million. That number is said to double in the next 20 years.

I guess some people do not value their life. They haven't realized the importance of taking care of their most precious asset, allowing something so insignificant to threaten simultaneously our level of intelligence and physical well-being.

The most important gift that you and I possess is Consciousness.

Are we conscious beings or easily manipulated pawns?

It takes discipline to smoke. Why not shift that discipline to something that actually extends your life rather than shorten it?


Discover the joy of martial art training, put your health and your family's health first.

Experience our unique Fitness System today and literally KICK the habit.

Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: