Monday, March 31, 2008

Hand, Forearm, strength and flexibility

When you're training for martial arts or any other sport you have to maintain an equilibrium between strength and flexibility.

You also have to train every part of your body. Just like Arnold Schwarzenegger explains in the 1977 movie Pumping Iron.

Although I have no aspiration to be as big as he once was, there's a part where he talks about "Symmetry".

In his thick accent he says something like: "If I add an inch on my arms I have to add an inch to my calves, an inch to my..." and on and on he goes.

Now what does that mean for a Martial Artist?

It can mean the same thing in your physical development or from a combat stand point, you have to keep everything in balance from punching to kicking, weapons to wrestling, and in your personal development, confidence to humility, fear to reason, success to contribution.

You have to think of your body and mind as one working unit.

One part doesn't function without the other.

Students often ask how I developed my forearms.

Before I get into that let's talk about why YOU should develop your forearms.

1. Mass + Speed = Lots of power!

As you might know, muscle is heavier than fat. The heavier your arm, the more momentum it can create while in movement, therefore inflicting more damage when you strike. It becomes like a "battering ram".

2. Stronger holds and chokes.

Without strong hands and forearms, your throws, locks and trapping skills are useless.

There are many things I do to develop forearm strength and flexibility.

One of the main tools I use is the Stick. When you move a weapon at 100 + km/h the g-force applied on your hands and forearms is quite remarkable and no wonder, helps in the development of those 2 body parts.

To know exactly what I mean, you need to feel it for yourself. Pick up my stick training program
to increase forearm definition, strength and flexibility.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

No comments: