Thursday, May 22, 2008

He's 3 and he knows what he wants

This morning I drove my son Vincent to day care as I usually do on Tuesdays and Thursdays when he asked me a question.

When am I gonna do Kung-fu?

He's just a little over 3 years old.

He knows that Thursday is Kung-fu day for his sister Justine and he thinks he's ready to start.

So I said yes, I'll pick up a uniform for him tonight and pack the video camera to catch it all on film. We'll see how he does.

When driving back home I couldn't help but think of how kids know what they want and they'll do anything to get it.

Compared to so many full grown adults who don't.

Do YOU know what you want? Because if you don't, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Be clear on what you want to look like physically. How do you see yourself in 5, 10 years?

What line of work do you want to be in. Is it what you love? Is it easy and effortless for you to do?

The next thing I thought about driving back was the importance of being a good role-model.

Vincent wants to do kung-fu because he SEES me doing it.

Kids are like sponges and I must be careful to set the right example for him in all areas: from seeing me make physical health and conditioning a top priority, to how I treat my wife, to what I eat to fuel my body, to seeing me read and educate myself.

You don't need to be a father to do this. You can be a role-model to your friends, to your co-workers, or to your family.

Set the example of what having a balanced life should look like.

Inspire someone to master themselves.

Tomorrow I'll let you know when you can get your hands on that 500 year old secret I've been keeping locked away in the FSD vault.

Until then,

Aim higher,

Sifu Martin

P.S. This information was hard to come by and comes directly from the birthplace of martial arts. Stay tuned...

No comments: