Friday, May 30, 2008

It's Louse Time! Concentrated Action

If you're new to my list of focused, motivated, self-starters, Welcome.

(if you're not jump right away to today's lesson below)

Every day I communicate to you the best ways to train and the kind of mindset it takes to get results either in your physical fitness or martial art training.

Friday is always what I call: "Louse Time". Modeled after Bruce Lee's strategy in Enter the Dragon. You know that part where he's having tea with the government agent but he's disturbed by one of his students and Bruce Lee tells the agent: It's Louse Time! The agent replies with his british accent: "yes of course".

Since I'm 6 years old that scene has always stuck with me and I'll be using that same strategy with You every week.

Friday is where I share with you Life Lessons and Direction given to me by my dad (and Sifu) every Friday.

Today's lesson was on Concentrated Action.

Yesterday we did just that. I'm not sure about you but last winter was hard on us.
One of our garage collapsed under the weight of the snow, our deck collapsed under the weight of the snow, one of our zip lines from our aerial park got crushed by an 80 year old red pine which snapped in half on it, our pool's outer wall ripped. Anything else?

Isn't that enough? What are you supposed to do in times like these?

Be resilient, take each problem and fix it.

Back to my subject of Concentrated Action. Do you often find yourself trying to do too many things all at once that nothing gets done?

Your day might start with you sitting down to continue work on a book you're writing, shortly after your cell phone rings then it's answering e-mail, then the delivery guy drops off a few packages, then you're off to a meeting. You never get in the flow of things.

The trick is to schedule your work day in 1 hour blocks. 1 hour of writing. 1 hour of reading. 1 hour of phone calls, 1 hour of alone time (meditating or training) with no interruptions. If you structure your day this way you'll get more done in half the time.

Yesterday was no different. Concentrated Action until 2:00 pm and most chores are done. Next week we'll start laying down the foundation for a new garage and getting the final preparations for Training Camp 2008 under way.

I write about a 100 goals a year and I never get tired of crossing them off my list and pencil in DONE on top of them. All that is possible because of this simple concept: Concentrated Action.

Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: