Friday, February 22, 2008

Weapon training benefits

From my own experience, the weapon that helped me acquire the skill to move any other weapon is: the Stick.

Stick training quickly teaches you about body awareness, body positioning and body alignment.

It's true, with enough practice you'll really feel like the stick is an extension of your body.

Stick training gives you a strong foundation you can fall back on when you're learning another weapon.

Fundamentally all weapons move roughly the same way. Using the same angles of attack.

It will also teach you about rhythm.

With time, when you move the stick, you'll be moving to an internal beat. No one else can hear it but you. The weapon will naturally go where it's supposed to go without thinking.

In turn, you can transfer this principle in your hand to hand combat techniques.

If I'm doing a demo or any other practice it is never planned. I rely on the Chi. The Chi will tell me where to go.

I'll never do the same demo twice. Because each time I demonstrate the art of the stick I'm at a different place in my weapon training.

Kinda like how the seasons change.

YOU are constantly improving, evolving and learning.

My thoughts are different. My breath is different. My emotions are different at that precise moment.

All these things have an influence on the Chi.

Some of these things might sound far fetched but I cannot deny what I feel when I move the weapon.

You won't be able to do this over night. But you can start somewhere.
Get started with the Basic Level Stick Training DVD, it will put you on the path to weapon mastery.

Get it here.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

No comments: