Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Almost lost my left hand

When I was 14 years old I had a bad accident.

I wasn't supposed to be able to move my left hand ever again. Looking back on that event I'm happy I have the freedom today to use my hand 100%. Doing Double Stick drills, Bo Staff and Chi Sao just wouldn't be the same if I didn't have my left hand!

We had just moved into our new school on Isabella St in Ottawa. Side kicking gyproc walls, basically breaking everything we could with baseball bats, sledge hammers and kung-fu.

When it came time to take out big glass windows out of their frames that's when it happened.

I was pulling out a 3 foot by 3 foot piece of glass with Christian. Both of us carefully nudging and slowly sliding it out of it's frame when suddenly, it broke in half and fell directly onto my wrist, 20 pounds of it.

It's only later I would realize why my hand was saved when the doctor explained to me why.

Most people's reflex would be to pull the arm away after being cut but I didn't. If I would of, the razor sharp glass would of sliced the main vein and crucial ligaments and tendons in my wrist.

There's an exercise we do in our strength training kits that always reminds me of that day. It's called Isometric Press Out. That's what I did out of pure instinct. And it saved my hand.

Maybe the exercises we show won't ever be used to save your hand like it did mine but it will definitely make you stronger, tougher and more flexible.

Our strength training system is very progressive, meaning it takes you from where you are, no matter what your level of fitness, and helps you build strength and endurance at your own speed. If you're starting out you should get the basic kit. If you're more advanced you should get the intermediate one.

Everytime I look at my scar I think: "Never let go". When I feel like quitting in any area of my life I just look at my wrist and keep going.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

P.S. I'll be releasing exactly one week from now the Advanced Strength Training Kit. Check your inbox for details very shortly.

No comments: