Friday, September 19, 2008

It's Louse Time! Find a Teacher

If you're new to my list of focused, motivated, self-starters, Welcome.
(if you're not (new) jump right away to today's lesson below)

Every day I communicate to you the best ways to train andthe kind of mindset it takes to get results either in your physical fitness or martial art training.

Friday is always what I call: "Louse Time". Modeled after Bruce Lee's strategy in Enter the Dragon.

You know that part where he's having tea with the government agent but he's disturbed by one of his students and Bruce Lee tells the agent: It's Louse Time! The agent replies with his British accent: "yes of course".

Since I'm 6 years old that scene has always stuck with me and I'll be using that same strategy with YOU every week.

Friday is where I share with you Life Lessons and Direction given to me by my dad (and Sifu) every Friday.

Today's lesson is: When the student is ready the teacher will appear

Ever since I was a little kid, say 6 or 7 years old, I always knew what I wanted to do. I was talented artistically and drawing and painting came very natural to me so I would make drawings of myself doing what I wanted to do.

I have binders full of the same old kind of drawings, all relating to the same thing. Thinking back to that time I think of W . Clement Stone's Quote that goes something like: "Concentrate upon a given desire until that desire becomes a burning obsession. ..."

It really did become a great obsession.

You guessed it, it was becoming a kung-fu instructor just like my father.

Like most people starting something new, I remember not being very good at it. As I write this, one moment flashes through my mind that I'll never forget.

The main house I lived in most of my life is not far from where I live today. Lots of things happened in that house. Lots of things that would set me on the course I'm on today.

Our basement was THE place for all sorts of things. Hockey, hide and seek, labyrinths, video games, weight lifting, kung-fu training, you name it.

The reason why I'm so stubborn and determined today is due in large part because of my big brother, that some of you know as Sifu Stephane who runs the Orleans School.

As with all brothers, there are some arguments, some pushing and shoving and some fighting.

This one time we were sparring with my dad's old pair of boxing gloves. These were 8 ounce black and gold gloves that were hard as rock which we still have to this day. Anyway, he ended up landing one on my nose in the basement and I started crying, I was about 9 years old at the time.

I remember crying and hitting our old punching bag we had hung up in the basement (we also still have that bag to this day, people who've been to our training camp got to hit it) and repeating to myself and screaming out loud, one day I'll be good (although it sounds better in french: "Moez aussi je vais aitre bon un jour, tabarnac!"

All this to say we all start at the bottom and we we need someone to push us to do better. Students need mentors, coaches, Sifus, to help guide the way.

Some people look at me and think I was always the way I am today. Wrong.

I put in the hours. I made the mistakes. I went through the aches and pains of starting something new just like you are doing.

I cannot imagine someone ever going at it alone without a teacher by your side.

That's why the Inner Circle was created to help you stay strong and motivated in times of doubt, it also works hand in hand with your class training to help bring out other qualities that are still un-tapped.

Become a member today.

Master Yourself,

Sibok Martin

No comments: