Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Keeping the fire lit

I get flooded with training inquiries, requests and advice on different subjects. I don't always have time to answer all of them but I'm gonna answer one today. Here goes:
----
Hi Sifu,

As you know I am a huge fan of your writtings. Here is a subject I would like addressed. I would like your insight on how to maintain the desire needed to be successful in Fang Shen Do. In other words, when someone is feeling like their passion for Kung Fu is "dwindling" and a person begins to second guess their decision about pursuing FSD to it's fullest....How do you keep the fire lit?

K
----
Sifu M: It depends what's at stake. What kind of mental pact have you done with yourself?

If you haven't associated anything of value to fight for in moments of lack of motivation, quitting will be painless and common in other areas of your life.

I see it as a pattern that could potentially repeat itself in the future. Finish what you start. Do you usually finish what you start or do you constantly bounce from one undertaking to another?

Make a pact with yourself. Set the stakes high. For me martial arts is a wonderful vehicle to work on so many areas of my life. I don't know of any other physical activity that covers all the bases like FSD does.

Let me share what I use to stay motivated in moments of weakness. Well first of all I'm very stubborn and quitting something before its completion would be a direct hit to my ego, or the self-image I have of myself. It is an image of tenacity, determination, and success.

Quitting would be a direct hit to those core values.

Age motivates me. I don't want to be and look like all the other 70 or 80 year olds when I get to that level. I don't like what I see and training is my way to stay young and vibrant for as long as possible. Quitting for me is an attack on the quality and length of my life.

Where else is there a team of people behind you, supporting you, encouraging you to set new limits for yourself, a team that believes in you and wants you to succeed?

Find out what motivates you, what would really make you stick with your training?

Is it your ability to move?

Is it having vibrant health free of disease?

Is it the satisfaction of knowing you've spent years mastering your body and mind?

Is it to keep on learning new skills?

Is it having an un-breakable spirit?

Is it seeing your kids graduate?

Just find that one reason and keep that image in your mind, let it carry you through the ups and downs of martial art development.

No one ever said mastering yourself was easy. Everything in life is a test. Will you pass or fail?

I say Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: