Monday, April 14, 2008

Need to break a filthy habit?

A few weeks ago I got an interesting e-mail from an ex-student.

I'm sharing it because maybe there are others who are going through the same challenge. So here goes:

Sifu,

I used to go to Fang Shen Do Kung Fu, 3 times a week. I used to participate in seminars and extra training. I have not been back for over 3 years now.

Since then I took up smoking cigarettes and marijuana and have made friends with only people that do the same. I am realizing as the days go by that I was happier without the smoking lifestyle.

I was happier when I was fit, but I have made some really close friendships with some of these people. I have tried to break the habit more than twice now but because every time I'm around them, I see the smoking and crave it.

I really want to get back into Kung Fu but I need to break the habit first. Is there anything I can do in this situation to help myself back on the course of life I am searching for? As of today, I am one week sober from smoking but I feel like I'll crack any day now like I always do... Please help.

Thanks,

J
----
Hi J,

Congratulations on your first week sober.

You are at a crossroad my friend.

You can't have both: Your smoking friends and Your health. You have to decide.

You have to associate so much pain to smoking that it will act as your main motivator when cravings hit.

I always tell this to my students or coaching clients.

Ask yourself:

What am I gonna look like in 30 years from now if I continue doing what I'm doing?

Offer to be a volunteer at a cancer ward, or visit the terminally ill (from smoking) wing.
Go take a stroll in the local cemetery.

Go in an old folks home and ask to interview one of the residents, one that has smoked for 30 + years, and just look at them and see if what you see adds to your craving or completely wipes it out?

One of my assistants' dad did smoke for that long and he's on his 5 th operation and he's only 63 years old.

Tell yourself you only want to breathe in fresh air.

Treat your body like a million dollar machine, because it is.

As for your friends, I know it sucks but you have to ask yourself or write down each person's name and list what that friend brings to you, how do they help you, what do they contribute to your life?

Is it just companionship and a few chuckles?

Remember often times friends love to see you down and out like they are, you're part of the pack, so don't expect any help from them. I have a hard time with that word FRIENDS. The only friend I trust, the only friend I can always count on is MYSELF.

First of all see the image of yourself not smoking, keep that image in your mind.

Then also see images of yourself training. Feel it. Change the craving of smoking to a craving of training.

When you have a craving go sprint. Or Do your isometric breathing (remember Lin Sil Die Dar Hard) exhale, maximum resistance, contraction. As you exhale visualize the poison coming out of your mouth and cleaning your insides. Tell yourself: "I am the master".

When you quit smoking did you know it takes over 7 years for your body to completely heal itself and clean itself out? Something to think about.

Tell your friends you'll be on Hiatus for awhile, That you have some issues you have to work out.
Give me a report every week.

Sifu
---
I'll finish the rest tomorrow. If I can help just one person get back on the right track, I'll have done my job.

Until then,

Master Yourself,

Sifu Martin

No comments: